WHAT TO BRING
- a yoga mat - not a travel mat - as we will be practicing on a hard floor
- bathing suit
- sweater for evenings
- European plug adaptor
The weather in July is generally sunny and hot, with temperatures in the high 80s during the day and dropping to the low 60s at night. Occasional summer thunderstorms.
TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
Villa Castellaro is located in the Niccone Valley, in the north-west corner of Umbria, close to the Tuscan border.
- The nearest town is Umbertide, about 25 mins away.
- The provincial capital is Perugia, about an hour away.
- Rome is about a 3.5 hr drive to the south.
- Florence is a 1.5 hr drive to the north.
- Pisa is a 2.5 hr drive to the west
- There are numerous ancient hill towns filled with art and sights within an hour’s drive including Cortona, Gubbio, Arezzo, Assisi and Spoleto.
The property is situated on a hilltop in the Niccone valley and is relatively isolated, requiring a 15-minute drive on an unpaved road to get to the nearest village. While many guests are happy to relax, lounge by the pool and never leave the property, others may occasionally want to venture out on short excursions to nearby historic towns or to participate in various activities (wine tasting, cooking classes etc.). If you (or a group) wish to do this then you will definitely need to rent a car (see below).
The retreat property will open on Saturday July 29th, and you should aim to travel and arrive at the house in the late afternoon on that day. Yoga will begin the morning of Sunday, July 30th. Guests should plan to depart on the afternoon of Friday, August 4th, or no later than 10am on Saturday, August 5th.
Coming from the USA, it is generally best to fly to Rome’s Fiumicino Airport (FCO). From there if you are renting a car it is a 3 ½ hr drive to the house. For those not renting a car we will organize either shared rides with others in the group or potentially a once-off shuttle bus from the airport to the house on Saturday 29th July and returning Friday 4th August.
Please note when making return flight reservations that the house is a 3-4 hr drive from Rome airport and most flights to the US leave in the morning, which means either getting up at 5am and driving, or enjoying a night or two in Rome before flying home.
From NYC there are a number of direct flights to FCO and many that have one stop in a European City (and are usually slightly cheaper). Ideally you should aim to get to Rome in the morning or by early afternoon given the onward travel times.
- United from Newark (EWR)
- Delta from JFK
- Alitalia from JFK
- American from JFK
- Many other non-US airlines offer 1-stop connections through European cities.
Rome is not the only airport you can fly in to. Here are other options, most only really accessible if you are already in Europe. Please note that if you arrive or depart from these airports you will need to rent your own car to get to and from the retreat.
- Perugia (PEG) is the closest airport to the property (45 mins) - it is a tiny regional airport that has several Alitalia commuter flights a day from Rome FCO, as well as daily flights on Ryanair from London Stanstead and some other European cities.
- Florence (FLR) - 1 1/2 hr drive
- Pisa (PSA) – 2.5 hr drive
- Bolgona (BLQ) - 3 hr drive
All airports mentioned have on-site car rental offices. Most rental cars in Italy are manual transmission, while it is sometimes possible to request an automatic these can be hard to find and more expensive.
Check out RentalCars.com - they cover most of the car agencies and have good all-inclusive prices, often lower than the agency themselves, plus the ability to add full insurance protection, which is highly recommended since you will be driving on unpaved roads and parking in small town spaces.
If you want to rent a car and potentially share with others in the group let us know and we will try to facilitate this.
ITALY ADDRESS & CONTACT INFO
Attendees will be given driving directions (if required) and local contact information closer to departure.